Digital Forensics Basics
A Practical Guide Using Windows OS
If you are a newcomer to the digital forensic field and you do not know where to start, this is your book! Digital Forensics Basics is your introductory guide to understanding and implementing digital forensics to investigate computer crime using Windows, the most widely used operating system. This book will provide readers with the necessary skills to identify an intruder’s footprints and to gather the necessary digital evidence in a forensically sound manner to prosecute in a court of law.
You can purchase this book from
Use this hands-on, introductory guide to understand and implement digital forensics to investigate computer crime using Windows, the most widely used operating system. This book provides you with the necessary skills to identify an intruder’s footprints and to gather the necessary digital evidence in a forensically sound manner to prosecute in a court of law.
Directed toward users with no experience in the digital forensics field, this book provides guidelines and best practices when conducting investigations as well as teaching you how to use a variety of tools to investigate computer crime. You will be prepared to handle problems such as law violations, industrial espionage, and use of company resources for private use.
Digital Forensics Basics is written as a series of tutorials with each task demonstrating how to use a specific computer forensics tool or technique. Practical information is provided and users can read a task and then implement it directly on their devices. Some theoretical information is presented to define terms used in each technique and for users with varying IT skills.
What You’ll Learn
- Assemble computer forensics lab requirements, including workstations, tools, and more
- Document the digital crime scene, including preparing a sample chain of custody form
- Differentiate between law enforcement agency and corporate investigations
- Gather intelligence using OSINT sources
- Acquire and analyze digital evidence
- Conduct in-depth forensic analysis of Windows operating systems covering Windows 10–specific feature forensics
- Utilize anti-forensic techniques, including steganography, data destruction techniques, encryption, and anonymity techniques
- Teaches entry-level computer forensics investigators how to examine Windows for digital crimes by using a wide range of computer forensics tools and techniques
- Discuss both the step-by-step processes of digital forensics as well as the legal ramifications
- Prepares junior forensics examiners to enter digital crime investigations with confidence
Who This Book Is For
Police and other law enforcement personnel, judges (with no technical background), corporate and nonprofit management, IT specialists and computer security professionals, incident response team members, IT military and intelligence services officers, system administrators, e-business security professionals, and banking and insurance professionals
- Featured in Digital Forensics Magazine (Issue 39) / May 2019 – “..The author has extended the world of a digital investigation beyond the “how to carry out a digital forensics’ investigation around a specific operating system and write a report”, to include other important aspects that the investigator may need to consider during any investigation.“
- Number one best new Digital Forensics books to read in 2019″ – BookAuthority